[APBeta] Audio attachments possible?

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Tue Dec 21 13:22:07 PST 2010

On Dec 21, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Roberto Abraham wrote:

> Yep, I was indeed talking about adding attachments to old
> observations from the observation database window... sorry if
> I was unclear. I figured working in the observation database
> window was the most direct way to edit old observation database
> entries. Maybe I should instead just do it the way you've just
> suggested though... certainly as long as it's possible to do
> it somehow that's plenty good enough!

I'm modifying things so that you will be able to edit attachments from the observation database window.

> By the way, it's an inspired choice to store the observation
> database as a generic sqlite database. Picking something standard like
> this is a nice way to "future proof" this important file, and makes
> it fairly straightforward to get at the data using a range of
> tools.

So are plan documents, resource database, image database, annotations database, etc. However, be wary of modifying any of these outside of AstroPlanner: there might be dependencies that can be broken. If you (or anyone else) has thoughts of modifying any of these documents/databases, speak to me first. Reading them is no problem, although you might find some of the fields non-obvious (both in intent and content).

SQLite is a very robust, compact, fast, cross-platform (and free/open source) database system. It's used in many places, including as the primary storage system for Mac Cocoa and iOS apps.