[APBeta] Seeing/Transparency

V.A. van Wulfen victor at clearskies.nl
Fri Aug 7 14:22:27 PDT 2009

Hi folks,

I'm the requester. I logged over 5000 observations in AP already and I more
than ever feel the need to log many details, both of the object and the
environmentals.

My reasoning is that values such as seeing, transparency and SQM (sky
quality, a measurement for darkness) are of great importance to an
observation. Seeing and transparency change during an observing session. So
does SQM, to an even greater extent. My Unihedron Sky Quality Meter also
measures temperature, which I also log (although not directly of influence
to an objects visibility). These variables together create a database I find
more than a little useful. Thanks to AP and these logged values I can
instantly recall the conditions under which an object was visible. To me
it’s invaluable.

While a general value for seeing, transparency and SQM is acceptable for a
session I definitely won’t stop to log these details separately for an
observed object. Currently AP allows plenty of user fields to be added to an
observation, so the option is there. However, these values are not repeated
for the next observations logged in a session, requiring them to be entered
manually again and again. It would have my great preference to see AP have
the option to fill in a value for a user field which would then be
duplicated for the next observation (of a different object), until the value
changes, after which the new value will be used for subsequent observations.
Actually, I could live without fields for seeing & transparency for the
session, as I could enter this in a brief description of the session itself.

In the field I have often noticed seeing is different for different parts of
the sky. Hence my desire to enter different values during a session. Same
goes for transparency, light pollution or Lunar interference. What about
winds that shake your scope early in the session but die down later at
night, allowing stable views and easier split double stars?

All of that and a new SQM reading roughly every fifteen minutes. That’s why
I put in the request.

Best wishes to all,

 Victor van Wulfen

Handtekening