[APBeta] XP Install

Jeff Shy jeff.shy at affinityforce.com
Thu May 29 16:49:08 PDT 2008

First of all, I was able to re-enter my email address as per your instructions and was able to obtain my registration number.

It appears that the theory that the XP install would work since it worked on Vista may not be valid.  I am running XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Version 2002 Service Pack 2.  I think this is equivalent to XP Service Pack 2 with a few extra features for the tablet PC.  I have never seen any Tablet specific loading on the PC, it is functionally equivalent to plain old XP.

Since I had an older version of Astroplanner on this computer running in /Program Files/Astroplanner, I installed v2 in /Program Files/Astroplanner2.  The installation seemed to run fine, I got shortcuts where I wanted them and they seemed to launch the program just fine.  Upon launch, the program says that I had previously ran from a different folder and do I really want to use the new folder.  I said yes, I want to use the new folder.

However, when I ran the program, it appeared to try to load the last plan or two that had been loaded in the earlier version of Astroplanner and at that point, it just hung using 96+% of the system resources.  The menus never really loaded, nor did any of the plans, but there were windows opened for the application and what appeared to be two MDI plans trying to load.  I had to end the process with task manager.

I then tried to run the program and said, no, I did not want to use the new folder.  When I do this, I get the dialogue box asking if I want to create a new plan, etc. and no plans are listed.  Regardless of whether I try to create a new plan, use and existing plan, use the plan wizard, or go to catalogue manager, the program crashes and I get the windows crash dialogue asking if I want to send information to Microsoft.

Thus, it appears I am done with my afternoon's test.

I'm going out for a few hours and if you have an other things you'd like me to try (including deleting the old astroplanner if that would help), let me know and I'll give them a shot later this evening.

Jeff