[APBeta] XP Install

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Thu May 29 17:22:25 PDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 16:49 , Jeff Shy wrote:

> First of all, I was able to re-enter my email address as per your
> instructions and was able to obtain my registration number.

Sorry about that. The problem has been fixed.

> It appears that the theory that the XP install would work since it
> worked on Vista may not be valid.  I am running XP Tablet PC Edition
> 2005 Version 2002 Service Pack 2.  I think this is equivalent to XP
> Service Pack 2 with a few extra features for the tablet PC.  I have
> never seen any Tablet specific loading on the PC, it is functionally
> equivalent to plain old XP.
>
> Since I had an older version of Astroplanner on this computer
> running in /Program Files/Astroplanner, I installed v2 in /Program
> Files/Astroplanner2.  The installation seemed to run fine, I got
> shortcuts where I wanted them and they seemed to launch the program
> just fine.  Upon launch, the program says that I had previously ran
> from a different folder and do I really want to use the new folder.
> I said yes, I want to use the new folder.

That shouldn't happen. It's some old code that has been removed in
2.0a2.

> However, when I ran the program, it appeared to try to load the last
> plan or two that had been loaded in the earlier version of
> Astroplanner and at that point, it just hung using 96+% of the
> system resources.  The menus never really loaded, nor did any of the
> plans, but there were windows opened for the application and what
> appeared to be two MDI plans trying to load.  I had to end the
> process with task manager.

Ditto.

> I then tried to run the program and said, no, I did not want to use
> the new folder.  When I do this, I get the dialogue box asking if I
> want to create a new plan, etc. and no plans are listed.  Regardless
> of whether I try to create a new plan, use and existing plan, use
> the plan wizard, or go to catalogue manager, the program crashes and
> I get the windows crash dialogue asking if I want to send
> information to Microsoft.
>
> Thus, it appears I am done with my afternoon’s test.

I suggest downloading V2.0a2, which should obviate that problem.

If the problem persists, hold down Ctrl immediately after launch.

> I’m going out for a few hours and if you have an other things you’d
> like me to try (including deleting the old astroplanner if that
> would help), let me know and I’ll give them a shot later this evening.

Appreciated. Testing is going to be a bit rocky for the first week or
so while I get the nasty bugs fixed.