[APBeta] The future of user images

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Aug 9 06:38:06 PDT 2008

On Aug 9, 2008, at 03:40 , Jeff Young wrote:

> I'm having trouble converting one of my old scripts which is trying
> to draw a user image (a sketch of a comet) on a canvas. (The problem
> is that I can't target a comet by RA/Dec, and I'd rather not require
> that a plan be open to target via the plan object.)

Why doesn't the script work? I don't think (and I might've forgotten)
I changed anything.

> However, I'm wondering if I'm going about that wrong in V2 anyway.
> Is the future direction that user images would be observation
> attachments rather than go in the DSS image cache?  If so, is there
> a way to draw those attachments easily onto a Canvas?

I really need to rethink the DSS/User image thing. What I should do,
is replicate the Observation attachments functionality for Objects.
I'm unhappy about the current mish-mash.

I'll think about it while I'm pulling invasive plants out of the local
park this morning (one of the downsides of being married to the city's
environmental volunteer coordinator).