[APBeta] v2.4a8 destroying observation database, also backup/restore failure

Sam Finn lsfinn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:42:10 PST 2021

Hi -

I’m having problems with  v2.4a8 destroying my observation database and also being unable to carry-out backup/restore operations.

At present I’m fine: I’ve restored my observation from time machine.

Here’s what I’m finding, though:
* When asked, v2.4a8 appears to create backup files; however, when I try to read those backups it reports that they files are unreadable.
* v2.4a8 can read backup files produced by v2.3
* I’m currently doing a full backup using v2.3; however, I’m getting the occasional alert panel with messages like “Error 23 when archiving 2020-12-30 10-27-51.67.zip” where the indicated files (i.e., "2020-12-30 10-27-51.*.zip”) are all associated with the previous unreadablle v2.4a8 backup files.

Thus, while I’ve dropped use of the beta to go back to v2.3, I’m concerned that I’m not able to produce a reliable full backup.

And, absent the ability to produce a full backup without error, I’m reluctant to read from or write to the database.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Can you shed any light on the reliability of the full backup now being produced by v2.3?

Thanks much,

Sam

—
Sam Finn