[APBeta] Pre-release version expiration

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Tue Sep 21 08:20:05 PDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Terrence Redding wrote:

> Currently I get a message that says the pre-release has expired and I should visit the website.  Then I wait for the count-down and click continue.
>
> As usual, when the program opens I spend minutes to hours looking at the menus and playing with the software - this is simply wonderful stuff.  Eventually I get around to looking for the update.  But though I have been through all the menus I do not recall seeing "Check for updates" or even "Visit website."
>
> I find myself dwelling on the "Check Software Versions" and considering why AstroPlanner itself is not listed as a critical update.  Today, at about that time a window pops up that offers the update and asks if I would like to visit the site.
>
> Of course, I click yes.  And, with broadband I am just a minute away from the download being ready to install.  The image is mounted and I drag the icon to the icon for the application folder and am reminded to quit AP before install can be accomplished.
>
> Two clicks, one to select AP the next to quit -and I am ready to install.  All works as expected.
>
> Very nice.

Well, I do announce all releases on this beta mailing list as well.

Of course, you're on a Mac, which makes installation a drag-and-drop action. On Windows you have to run the installer each time, so it's a double-click-click-click-click-click action :^)

The first time you access the Internet from within AstroPlanner on a particular day, it will check for newer versions, and any news items I might post (a feature I keep forgetting about), and display them, as you saw.