[APBeta] e-mail posts

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Fri May 1 07:58:23 PDT 2009

On May 1, 2009, at 06:45 AM, Anthony Tripodi wrote:

> OK. So we're still alive. Excellent!
>
> In that case...
>
> I just tried to print an observing list from .b35. I got at first a
> printing wizard and was allowed to choose what I wanted. When I
> selected "Print" I got first the little wristwatch, then the
> spinning beachball of death. The beachball lasted maybe 3 minutes as
> page 1 was announced, then page 2 went through the same sequence, as
> did page 3.
>
> At the end of the sequence a preview was indeed produced, but any
> movement of the mouse to manipulate the window resulted in the
> spinning beachball of death for about a minute or so.
>
> Now, as long as this preview window is alive, any other application
> that I happen to use (Mail, for example) results in the same very
> slow operation accompanied by the spinning beachball. When I
> canceled the print preview (same slow response, but a successful
> operation) all other operations returned to normal.
>
> I'm running a Mac Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.4 GHz, 1 GB SDRAM, and 4 MB
> L2 cache. Software is OS X, 10.5.6.

That's usually a sign (on the Mac) of virtual memory thrashing, which
might be a problem with 1GB RAM, or might be a disk problem. I have
just fixed a major memory leak (30MB+ every time you close a plan
doc), which might also be a problem if you had been opening and
closing multiple plan docs, and/or those plan docs are large. See if
you can reproduce the problem. I am currently working on some printing
issues, so it might be an idea to wait for V2.0b36 later today
(probably) and see if the problem persists.