[APBeta] New annotation feature in 2.0b30

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Apr 4 09:11:12 PDT 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 11:53 PM, Hilary Jones wrote:

> I tried the new annotations feature quickly tonight.  I haven't
> really explored all the possibilities yet, but I do have a couple of
> comments.

Now why did I think you'd be the first  :^)

> First, a possible bug.  To demonstrate this, create an annotation,
> but don't click the save button.  Now create a second annotation.
> You will find that AstroPlanner has forgotten the first annotation
> and replaced it with blanks. Perhaps AP should warn about this, or
> maybe better still, just remember the first annotation.  There's
> also a question of whether AP should warn you that the annotations
> haven't been saved when you exit the app or move to another object.

Yeh. I've been pondering this and I believe I can do away with the
Save button altogether and just do it automatically.

> Second, I can't find a way to highlight objects based on their
> annotations. I use annotations to tell whether an object is
> especially interesting or not.  For example I prefix each annotation
> with an asterisk if I think the object is especially noteworthy, and
> I use an exclamation point to show that the object is something I've
> finished work on.  Then I can use the highlighting rules to place
> the interesting objects at the top of the plan and the uninteresting
> ones later.  It's true that I can set the highlighting based on the
> object's "notes" field, but I really need to be able to set the
> highlighting based on an annotation.  That way the highlighting will
> be the same with every plan and I won't have to edit the notes field
> for every plan.  Actually, the best answer would be if the notes
> were shared between all plans in the same way that annotations are
> shared.  Alternatively, I would be happy if there was a highlighting
> rule that worked for the first annotation, say.  I certainly don't
> need to be able to set my highlighting based on the contents of the
> 37th annotation!

As I mentioned, this is a work in progress. However, I didn't mention
highlighting as one of the areas to be attacked. I will probably have
two separate highlighting items for an object: number of annotations,
and contents of those annotations. i.e. you ca highlight on "Number of
Annotations > 0" or "Annotations contain 'UHC' " for example.

I'm also looking at flagging plan objects and catalogue objects to
show that they have any annotations. Not sure how I'll do that yet.
Either a new column, or some kind of badge in an existing column.

Paul R.