[APBeta] New annotation feature in 2.0b30

Hilary Jones hdjones at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 3 23:53:53 PDT 2009

I tried the new annotations feature quickly tonight.  I haven't really
explored all the possibilities yet, but I do have a couple of comments.

First, a possible bug.  To demonstrate this, create an annotation, but don't
click the save button.  Now create a second annotation.  You will find that
AstroPlanner has forgotten the first annotation and replaced it with blanks.
Perhaps AP should warn about this, or maybe better still, just remember the
first annotation.  There's also a question of whether AP should warn you
that the annotations haven't been saved when you exit the app or move to
another object.

Second, I can't find a way to highlight objects based on their annotations.
I use annotations to tell whether an object is especially interesting or
not.  For example I prefix each annotation with an asterisk if I think the
object is especially noteworthy, and I use an exclamation point to show that
the object is something I've finished work on.  Then I can use the
highlighting rules to place the interesting objects at the top of the plan
and the uninteresting ones later.  It's true that I can set the highlighting
based on the object's "notes" field, but I really need to be able to set the
highlighting based on an annotation.  That way the highlighting will be the
same with every plan and I won't have to edit the notes field for every
plan.  Actually, the best answer would be if the notes were shared between
all plans in the same way that annotations are shared.  Alternatively, I
would be happy if there was a highlighting rule that worked for the first
annotation, say.  I certainly don't need to be able to set my highlighting
based on the contents of the 37th annotation!

Hilary