[APBeta] Starting up an observation database

Michael Portuesi portuesi at jotabout.com
Mon Oct 20 18:31:33 PDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Paul Rodman wrote:

> Putting the entire NGC catalogue into a plan will bring V1.6.1 to
> its knees. Trust me.

I'm noticing that now.  As I write this, a few hours later, it's
*still* trying to add the items to the plan.  I'm going to kill it now.

I was just trying to avoid the step of looking up each individual
object in order to add it to the plan, so *then* I can log it.

> I would suggest doing it directly with V2, but not for another day
> or so. I'm currently working on a last tweak to the observation
> database format. I doubt it will nullify any previously-entered
> data, but just to be on the safe side...

Sounds good.  I would prefer doing it with V2, actually, to help with
the development.  It's just that I have today and tomorrow as free
days, and I start a new job on Wednesday.  After that, my free time
drops precipitously.  I'll still work on it as time permits.

> The database format used in V2 (SQLite V3) is very stable and robust
> (I haven't had a corrupted database yet, even during development).
>
> Also, after adding a few dozen observations, I'm sure you'll have
> some suggestions to speed things up.

That's true.  I would relish the opportunity to make suggestions to
help streamline this process.

Michael Portuesi