[APBeta] Starting up an observation database

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Mon Oct 20 16:57:57 PDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Michael Portuesi wrote:

> With the coming of 2.0, and two days of time on my hands, I'm
> finally getting my observing database (spanning 7 years) online and
> out of my handwritten notebooks*.
>
> My current plan is to enter the observing entries into 1.6.1 and
> later import into 2.0.  Any reason why I shouldn't do that?  Any
> recommendations for making the eventual migration into 2.0 go
> smoother?
>
> Also, what's the best strategy to use in 1.6.1?  I'm thinking of
> turning on global observations, and creating one giant plan with the
> entire NGC catalog, then start adding observations for each of the
> entries on the list.  I'm guessing I have to do this because AP
> 1.6.1 ties observations so heavily to plan documents.

You will have to turn on global observations, otherwise V2 will have
nothing to import.

Putting the entire NGC catalogue into a plan will bring V1.6.1 to its
knees. Trust me.

I would suggest doing it directly with V2, but not for another day or
so. I'm currently working on a last tweak to the observation database
format. I doubt it will nullify any previously-entered data, but just
to be on the safe side...

The database format used in V2 (SQLite V3) is very stable and robust
(I haven't had a corrupted database yet, even during development).

Also, after adding a few dozen observations, I'm sure you'll have some
suggestions to speed things up.