[APBeta] SERIOUS CRASH -- AP v2.012b will not start (work-around available)

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Dec 27 13:05:58 PST 2008

On Dec 26, 2008, at 03:54 PM, Gary A. Ferguson wrote:

> I have not been able to reproduce this crash
>
> I had done lots of things in AP
> I closed all open documents, so that only the application menu bar
> window remained open.
> Browsed to a folder from within Windows Explorer and double-clicked
> on a converted plan.
> Immediately got a Visual Studio JIT debugger window, asking me if I
> wanted to debug the application. Clicked cancel.
> Tried again, same result.
> Tried to open a plan document from within AP, same result.
> Closed AP, opened AP -- got the jit debugger during application
> startup (before it asked about opening a plan.)
> Tried holding down the shift key while starting AP, got the jit
> debugger again.
> Logged off, logged back on, tried to start AP again, same result.

Most odd. I don't know what the JIT debugger is, but I would've
thought that would be for .NET apps only.

> Started AP1.6 to look at the manual to see if I remember about the
> shift key correctly.
> Closed AP1.6 and NOTICED THAT THE ICONS FOR THE v2 plans had been
> CHANGED to the v1.6 icon

Currently V2 uses V1 plan doc icons. My tame graphic designer is on
vacation. When she gets back, she has promised to work on the document
icons.

> Double-clicking a v2 plan now started up v1.6 (albeit not with that
> plan open, since it was a v2 plan)
> Re-installed v2.0b12

The problem is that V1, as I recall, modifies the registry whenever it
runs.

> V2 now starts. I can now also double-click a v2 plan and have it
> open in v2.
> I also noticed that v1.6 plans now display the v2 file icon,
> although if you dbl-click on them, v1.6 opens.

They should, in either case, display the V1 plan doc icon. Only the
application icon has changed in V2 (so far).

> There is not a errorlog.txt file in the v2 directory, is it not
> created? Or did I wipe it out when I re-installed (didn't think to
> look before re-installing.)

It would be on the desktop (for V2). Nothing ever gets stored in the
V2 application folder, since in Vista and XP, this is not done.