[APBeta] Plan Creation Wizard

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Mon Aug 11 08:05:26 PDT 2008

On Aug 10, 2008, at 13:00 , Michael Portuesi wrote:

> Okay, I'll nominate something for item (4) - "Your Suggestion Here".
>
> This would be to use a database as in approach (3), but rather than
> you doing all the work to maintain the database, you provide a
> feature in the program to allow users to vote for/rate interesting
> and/or notable objects.  Perhaps this could be part of the
> observation logging tab.
>
> User ratings would get sent back to AstroPlanner headquarters, which
> would then be used to build the notable object database.
>
> This works a bit like the user ratings found on many websites, such
> as Amazon.com.

I did contemplate something similar to that, but decided that (a) it
was a lot more work than I wanted to put in at this stage, (b) it
would have a start-up problem - i.e. would take time before there was
a suitable body of objects and, (c) it ties in with a future planned
feature (V3 or later)*.

However, I'm thinking of perhaps a hybrid of 1 and 3 below, or 2 and
3. i.e. there is a database of suitable objects that I can create and
improve at my leisure. If enough objects are not found there, then
fall back on a catalogue search. I have a lot of "Deep Sky Wonders"
type of books and a pile of S&Ts (that I was considering getting rid
of) that I can use as fodder.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul R.

* an on-line database of observations, possibly on a new domain, that
AP (and possibly others if I release the API) can contribute users'
observations to, and retrieve observations from.