[APBeta] Plan Creation Wizard

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sun Aug 10 10:54:38 PDT 2008

Folks,

Your views greatly appreciated.

One feature of AP V2 that's past it's use-by data is the Plan Creation
Wizard, because:

a. It's not really a "wizard" as such.
b. It's very restrictive (i.e. you have to supply a lot of irritating
detail, and either get back too few, or two many hits.
c. It's very slow.

Since it's the kind of feature that new users would use, it needs to
be a lot better.

Making the interface better, more "wizard-like", and less cluttered, I
can manage. Problem (c) is the main one. What I'm struggling with is
the actually algorithms.

I can take three approaches (the first of which is the currently-used
one):

1. Search all (or selected) catalogues for objects that satisfy
carefully (sic) crafted rules (e.g. any galaxies that are brighter
than mag A, and bigger than B).

2. Have a separate database of objects that are indexed by expertise
level, object type, etc. Possibly pointing to the actual catalogue
entries. The database would be created beforehand by running a special
app on the entire catalogue set.

3. Create a database of objects manually, based on astronomy
literature, S&T articles, NSOG data, user input, etc. This database
could be updated on-line as new information becomes available.

and possibly

4. Your suggestion here.

All of the above (apart from 4) have advantages and disadvantages:

1. Advantage: a. I don't have to update any databases or otherwise
keep things up-to-date.
    Advantage: b. There's pretty much every object you could wish for
in the existing catalogues. Adding extra catalogues only improves
things.
    Advantage: c. Incentive to register and get more catalogues.

    Disadvantage: a. The searching can take a long time (although
there are various things I can do to alleviate the problem).
    Disadvantage: b. False positives, false negatives can occur, if
there are bogus catalogue entries (e.g. galaxies with Mag=0).
Duplicates.

2. Advantage: a. Fast lookup.
    Advantage: b. Very little maintenance required by me.
    Advantage: c. Same as c above.

    Disadvantage: a. If catalogues get changed or added, the database
will need refreshing. This could be done on-line, possibly when in the
Cat Manager.
    Disadvantage: b. See disadvantage b above.
    Disadvantage: c. The database could be quite big.

3. Advantage: a. High quality object choices.
    Advantage: b. Very fast lookups.

    Disadvantage: a. LOTS of work required by me (I could start by
sucking all user-contributed plan objects, I guess).
    Disadvantage: b. A limited selection of objects, unless
Disadvantage (a) isn't a problem.
    Disadvantage: c. A less objective selection of objects. Some good/
popular ones might be missed.

What are your views, O Valued Testers?