[APBeta] Unable to "drag the sky"

Tim Long Tim at tigranetworks.co.uk
Sat Jun 22 11:34:53 PDT 2019

In the latest build (2.3a32) and in the previous build, I'm no longer able to "drag the sky" in the Field of View screen, to adjust target image framing. In the latest release, irrespective of whether "Mouse dragging" is set to "moves the telescope" or "moves the sky", _both_ the telescope _and_ the sky are both moved together in lock-step, which is not so useful.

Why do I need this? Consider the needs of rotated guiding. I use a dual-CCD camera with an SCT so that both main and guide imagers share the same light path. To maximize options for guiding, this is used with an instrument rotator so that the camera can be rotated to acquire the best guide star. With this imaging setup, everything is dictated by getting a good guide star. So what I do is centre my target coordinates, then use a combination of FOV rotation and "dragging the sky" to put the best guide star at the centre of the guide chip. Then I read off the coordinates of the centre of the FoV (main imager CCD) along with the rotation angle, and that's the _actual_ set of target coordinates I need to use when imaging: RA+Dec+Sky Position Angle.

The loss of the ability to "drag the sky" makes it near impossible to centre the guide star, which completely defeats my workflow.

Best regards,
Tim Long