[APBeta] V2.1 release schedule

Dan Kuchta dankuchta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 06:24:15 PDT 2013

Hi Paul:

>> ... I suggested a "licencing" form of updates, where you paid, say, an
annual fee to get any improvements ...

I'm not sure if we're talking about exactly the same thing here.  It's that
"annual fee" that I think people object to.  The way it's worded in your
note, it infers that you pay every year, on some yearly schedule set by the
developer.

With the scheme I'm talking about, you only pay when you think there's
enough new features or bug fixes to warrant the price.  And the schedule is
different for each individual.  In other words, if I buy a license for a
year's worth of upgrades on June 1, I can get any updates released before
June 1 the following year.  For another uses who buys a license in October,
it goes until October of the next year.  Again, the expiration date is
encoded in the key and is compared to the release date of the software.

While these may seem like small differences from an annual fee program, to
me it puts control in the hands (and wallets!) of the users.  You don't
feel like you're tied to a "rental" fee for the software that needs to be
paid on a set schedule every year.  Just my 2 cents, but I find this to be
a very nice way to do things.  It doesn't make me feel like the software
vendor is trying to suck a steady income stream out of me.  And it allows
me to reward the vendor's hard work with a payment when I feel like the
additional features have reached critical mass, based on *MY* needs.  If
there's lots of new features that I don't care about, then I don't need to
pay just yet.

-Dan