[APBeta] AstroPlanner + SkyFi + SkySafarai app... will they play together?

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Apr 2 13:42:18 PDT 2011

On Apr 2, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Roberto Abraham wrote:

> I'm thinking of investing in a SkyFi adapter as a means of having a real-time sky display which works seamlessly with AstroPlanner. (I know about using AstroPlanner to talk to EquinoX and Cartes du Ciel, but I'd rather not give up the screen real estate). If I hook AstroPlanner up to my scope via the SkyFi and also tell the SkySafari planetarium app on my iPhone to talk to the scope via the SkyFi, will everything place nicely together? The main thing I want to do is have AstroPlanner slew the scope and then have the scope's position continuously displayed by the SkySafari planetarium app on my iphone. Any idea if this would work?

I don't know. However, I have all the requisite bits and pieces here to find out, when I get a chance. It will probably depend on (a) whether the SkyFi unit will allow two concurrent connections, and (b) what happens when the two apps try and poll the scope at the same time. I suspect that even if (a) is true, (b) will cause a lot of confusion, unless AP is set up to do minimum polling.