[APBeta] Documentation using a wiki

Dan Kuchta dankuchta at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 15:29:47 PDT 2010

Personally, I'm not a big fan of online documentation, wiki or otherwise.  If manuals are well written and well organized, they can add dramatically to the usability of the software.  By the same token, poorly written manuals can be miserable to wade through.  While I'm sure writing manuals is not your favorite task, you are actually quite good at it and in my opinion, your manual is better than most commercial software I've purchased.  In fact, it was one of the reasons I purchased AstroPlanner to begin with.

On the other hand, I can certainly understand that you have limited time and would rather spend it writing code instead of manuals.  A wiki can be an effective way of getting the information out there and letting the community help with the updates and additions.  What you tend to lose is that coherent, organized "train of thought" that runs through a well written manual like yours.

Just my 2 cents. :-)

-Dan