[APBeta] EX 125 Telecsope Control

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Jun 5 08:03:41 PDT 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Tim Brown wrote:

> I'm having trouble using AstroPlanner 2 with my ETX.  I know that the scope
> and cable connections and settings are good because the setuo works fine
> with several planetarium programs.
>
> In AstroPlanner Version 1.6 I was able to solve this problem by following
> the instructions from the help file:
> " Set the "Show data flow to and from telescope" checkbox on" from the help
> file. Close preferences and try connecting again. A window will appear
> showing what is being sent to the telescope by AstroPlanner, and what (if
> anything) is coming back. Use the checkbox at the bottom of this window to
> store the contents of this window for analysis (in a text file called "Data
> Flow.txt") by us."
>
> I'm baffled by the problem in version2.  The "telescope not connected"
> message is displayed under the telescope drop-down box, but that's no help.
> How do I test the communications in Version2?  I'm afraid that I don't know
> what commands to send using the "Test Telescope Communications" form.
>
> I apologize for raising such a simple question, but I'd like to get past
> this problem.  I love the new version and am awed by your support.

In V2, each telescope resource has its own mount definition (as opposed to just one in V1). So the steps to get it going are (and you've probably done the first few):

1. Edit->Resources...->Telescopes
2. Add a telescope resource for your ETX 125
3. In the Computerised Mount popup, select Meade ETX as the mount type
4. Click the Edit... button to the right of the popup
5. Select the correct serial port in the popup at the top
6. Click OK
7. Close Resources window
8. Select that scope in the Telescope popup at the top left of the plan doc window
9. Click the Connect to telescope checkbox.

If that doesn't work, see if a file with the same name as the telescope resource was left on your desktop. If so, send me a copy.