[APBeta] Red Screens (was Re: The Dark Side

Erik Fichtner emf1123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 15:07:21 PDT 2009

Paul Rodman wrote:

> For Windows, I strongly recommend a physical red screen (plexiglass,
> etc.) in front of the monitor.

Actually, I have to recommend a physical red screen regardless of platform
and night vision setting.

On the Mac, night vision mode delivers a washed out "red" and a very bright
"black" background, due to the backlight bleeding through, even on the lowest
brightness setting.

This is a limitation of LCD design, and it is plenty to ruin your night vision.

I personally use a sheet of Lee #106 Primary Red studio lighting gel over
the screen of the field laptop, and the difference in contrast and night
vision protection is enough to STRONGLY recommend it to everyone.  Your
nearby camera or theatrical supply shop has some.