[APBeta] Windows menus

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Oct 31 11:21:41 PDT 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 11:08 AM, rlashley at pacbell.net wrote:

> I'm sensing that the people on this thread
> are not agreeing as to what "disabled" means.
>
> I thought "disabled" means "greyed out" so
> as to not be clickable.

Correct.

Menu items are context-sensitive and are disabled/greyed-out if not
currently applicable.

However, in the case of windows other than plan document windows, some
of those entries are _never_ applicable, so the argument becomes:
should those entries be removed for windows where they are never
applicable. e.g. if the only applicable entry in the File menu is
Close, should the File menu contain just that one entry.

> If it truly means that it doesn't show up in
> the menu, even when greyed out, I think I
> would get confused.  (But then I'm OFTEN
> confused.)

No, I'm not advocating that - it would be too awful to contemplate.

You think you're confused? I'm standing with one foot on Mac and the
other on Windows (and a couple of vociferous Linux users complaining
about my lack of a third leg).