[APBeta] Scope control problems with Meade LX200R

Bruce Pipes bruce.pipes at fandm.edu
Sun May 31 10:21:15 PDT 2009

Paul,

When I tried to control my scope with APv2b34, everything seemed to
work except the "Slew to home" command. That is not a big deal  since
I can easily do that with the handpad. However, I have tried to
control the scope with two recent versions and both have frozen early
in the process.

For example, last night I tried APv2b39. It connected to the scope
fine. I then did a high precision slew and it went to the synch star
OK. I synched on the star and slewed to the DSO. Everything OK to this
point. I then switched to my imaging application (Equinox Image) and
took some images to see where I was. I then switched back to AP,
clicked on the Telescope menu, and tried to open the Telescope Control
Palette. The Telescope menu came down and the Telescope Control
Palette menu item darkened when I clicked it. At that point AP froze
up. The Telescope Control Palette did not open, but the Telescope menu
stayed down. I clicked everywhere and nothing happened. I was able to
force quit AP. The Force Quit window did not say that AP was not
responding, but I assure you it was not (or, if it was, it was so slow
as to be useless).

Do you know what could have happened since b34 to make scope control
unstable?

Thanks,
Bruce