[APBeta] Startup and scope control

Bruce Pipes bruce.pipes at fandm.edu
Fri Aug 14 06:18:07 PDT 2009

Paul,

I tried using APv2b53 last night to control my Meade 8" LX200R out at
the observatory I use. When I started AP up, I noticed something I had
seen before, namely that it was veeeerrrryyyy slow to start up (even
though an hour earlier at home it had started up quickly). I found the
source of the problem. Some of the other folks at the observatory
control their scopes over a wireless local network.  Apparently, when
I started my Mac up, it connected to the wireless network. It was this
wireless connection that was causing the slow startup for AP. When I
turned off Airport on my Mac, AP started normally. It was as if AP was
trying to connect to the internet when it started. Unfortunately we do
not have internet at the observatory.

When I finally got AP running, it connected to the scope and I was
able to do a couple of high precision slews. I then connected to my
camera with Equinox Image and started doing things like focussing and
framing the image. At this point, when I tried to move the scope with
the AP, it froze up. I had to force quit. As always, when I went back
to APv1.6.1, everything worked flawlessly.

I hope this is helpful. If there is any other info I can send you, let
me know.

Bruce