[APBeta] APv2b34 scope control problem

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Fri Apr 17 08:49:53 PDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 07:57 AM, Bruce Pipes wrote:

> I used APv2b34 in a imaging session last night and it passed every
> test but the final exam. At the end of the session I clicked "Slew
> to Home" on the Telescope Control Palette expecting the scope to
> slew to Dec = 0° with the scope pointing south. Instead it slewed to
> Dec = +20° and it kept slewing in RA until I had to hit the power
> off switch on the scope.
>
> I have filed a bug report.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce Pipes
> LX200ACF and MacOS 10.5.6

Looking at the code, what happens is that a :hF# command is issued by
the app. According to the Meade documentation (which is often reality-
challenged), this should do the job. However, I note that the button
has "(and disconnect)" underneath it. This I do not currently do (and
probably should). This means that the app will continue to send
requests for RA/Dec to the scope. I'm not sure if this would cause the
problem (i.e. "Oh, the user want's me to slew to home. OK, here we go.
Oh, wait, now he wants the current RA. I'll just conveniently forget
about waiting for the home position to be reached, etc. and process
the new command instead).

I've cc-ed this to Dick Seymour, the font of wisdom on these matters.
If any body in this universe can shed light on the matter, it's Dick.