[APBeta] Report

Jeff Shy jeff.shy at affinityforce.com
Thu May 29 19:36:43 PDT 2008

I am running at 1400 x 1050.  Several of the boxes at the top have problems displaying all of the text.  For example, in the first box, the last "e" is missing in Telescope.  Under SUN, "Twiligh" is missing its final "t" and it isn't tabbed in, its on the left margin.  "Civil" is the last item in this list of times, therefore, only four times are displayed.  "MOON" has part of the "N" missing, "Phase" is missing the "e" and ":" and "Crescent" is missing half the "n" and the "t".  "Seeing" is missing part of the "g".  The font in the HighLight list box is smaller than the font in the Seeing list box.  No site was listed despite the fact that I entered a default site in the set up wizard.

There were problems cutting off letters in the "Show Catalogue", Search Catalogue", and "Add Special" pull down labels.  Similar problems are apparent in the preferences dialogues and I suppose other places as well.

The Julian Date shows "Julian Date 245-" in the first line and 4616.56983 in the second (that doesn't seem right).

When I clicked on "Show Catalogue", "Bright Star", the catalogue appeared and then immediately went behind the main window.  It was easily retrieved by picking its icon bar at the bottom of the screen.''

In the search dialogue, there "e" was missing from the end of "date/time".  The last letters or part thereof were missing from some of the lines just above that was well.

After searching, the dialogue was once again hidden behind the main screen.

The site that I entered during the setup wizard seemed to have gotten lost.

Under the telescope tab in resources, the "computed parameters" list box did not display its scroll bar until I clicked somewhere in the box.

Sometimes, when I click between the two telescopes that I entered, the Focal Ratio, Aperture, Central Obstruction, and FOX appeard in red rather than black.  I couldn't find a pattern.  The central obstruction was 0 for both telescopes.  I had not checked the visual magnitude checkbox, but the visual magnitude display edit box looked like there was an odd number (304563 or 804563) displayed on top of the box (not actually in it since the number was longer than the box) with a gray background.  Upon playing with this some more, it appeared that the number in the box was 13.5304563 to 7 decimal places.  This number is displayed for either telescope unless I specifically click on the second telescope which correctly displays its magnitude to 1 decimal digit.  The first telescope was an ETX90EC and the second a LX200GPS 8".  After playing with this some more, it appears that both are now being displayed correctly with one decimal digit.

It would be great if eyepieces sorted by size rather than totally alphabetically.  I think this could be more or less fixed by putting a space in front of the smaller numbers.  For example, space 6.4.  That would cause it to sort before 12.4.

How about adding the Denkmeirer binoviewer?

The tabbing was kind of odd on the Observer's tab, it did not follow logically down the page.  I'm not sure what "Resource Name" is supposed to be on this tab.  It prompts for "Observer #1" when the Obeserver name is just below it.  I'm getting some red text in age, latitude.  Longitude was selected while tabbing and now stays selected even when I tab and select a different field.  Can we get something worse than 20/40 on vision (I'm getting kind of old I guess).

I put junk in the latitude, longitude (letters) and it didn't stop me from doing so.  What are they for anyway?  I guess I need to re-read the documentations somewhere, but I'm trying to play the dumb user (and doing pretty well so far if I do say so myself).

Created new observation from observation tab.  It did not pick up the site, seeing or transparency form the top of the screen.

There is a rather odd tab sequence on the observation tab.

All of the resource items act as though they were one tab stop, I would think they should be tabbed through.

As I typed in notes on the observation tab, the while area under "general" tab seemed to flash off quickly and then back on ever few seconds.

When I put in a second object, the "add to observation session" box defaulted to "start a new session".  I assume this is to log all items I'm viewing during a single night.  It would seem that it ought to default to 'add to recent session".  In fact, this box will be very annoying if it comes up for every observation.  Perhaps it should only come up if the date is different than the last date.

After clicking add to the session, there was nothing created in the observation data boxes, i.e., nothing happened.

This observation tab did not seem to be operating correctly.  Its late, I'll try some more tomorrow.

Jeff