[APBeta] Possible bug in ID synonyms

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Sat Dec 27 14:56:42 PST 2008

On Dec 27, 2008, at 02:36 PM, Jeff Young wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if I'm just using it wrong.
>
> I've got a plan which includes NGC772, and it has several
> observations.  I've also got a plan which includes Arp78, which is
> the same galaxy.  It doesn't show any observations.  If I go to the
> Observation Database Settings tab, and type "NGC772, Arp78" and then
> hit Reset, the Arp plan still doesn't show any observations.
>
> Am I doing that right?

Here's the problem: The Arp catalogue has two entries for Arp78
(one=NGC770 and two=NGC772). Since the mechanism that hunts down
synonyms (currently) stops after finding the first one, it will never
find the Arp78=NGC772 association. This is a bug. I will add a report.

The Synonyms override you mention does work here, although in theory
you shouldn't need to go through the whole Reset procedure.