[APBeta] Observations Feature Questions

Paul Rodman paul at ilanga.com
Wed Aug 20 06:23:16 PDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 05:42 PM, Greg Paine wrote:
> You mean make Edit->Preferences... into a hierarchical menu (i.e.
> Edit-
>> Preferences->Observation, etc.)?
>
> [Greg's Comments:] No, just a tab in the preferences window alongside
> general, lists, printing, etc
>
> I have been breaking out the
> preferences into separate windows positioned "closer" to their
> emphasis (i.e. FOV prefs next to the FOV, etc.). However, I will
> consider this. Preferences are something you shouldn't need to change
> much. If there are certain preferences you are fiddling a lot, perhaps
> they need to be elsewhere.
>
> [Greg's Comments:] I also like your idea of the prefs located closer
> their emphasis. Is it easy to place access to them in both
> locations? I
> think your V1 users will tend to look in the prefs window first, at
> least I
> did.

Well, I suppose I could consider adding an "Other" tab, containing a
set of buttons: "FOV settings", Sky settings", "Observation settings",
etc. Clicking the buttons would bring up the existing V2 pref windows.

>> Is there a way to name sessions?
>
> No. They are based on Date/Time/Site, i.e. "named" automatically. If
> you really, really feel the need to "name" sessions, I can add a name
> field.
>
> [Greg's Comments:] No, the notes field will work but it would be
> nice to do
> a column sort on notes; at least maybe the first 15 characters or so
> of
> notes. I usually enter the name of guests then the next time they
> stop by I
> look up what I showed them last time.
>

>> Would it be beneficial to include the other obs session fields
>> (seeing, trans, observer & notes) in the obs sessions window?
>
> Well, I recently added the first three. Use the splitter to reveal
> them if necessary.
>
> [Greg's Comments:] I see them now. I tried the scroll bar but didn't
> see
> them so assumed there wasn't anything there. Any easy way to
> continue to
> show the scroll bar until the window is expanded out far enough to
> show all
> fields? It is a little misleading now; when the scroll bar
> disappears one
> thinks there is nothing more to see to the right.

Let me check on this. I seem to recall someone else complaining about
the non-functioning horizontal scroller.